Sunday, February 8, 2009

Eating Healthy

CONFESSION

So, I have a confession. This week I went to BUNKO and did great controling what I ate for the first hour or so. I had a salad, and veggies with a few grapes. However, at every table there are two dishes of candy. I confess, that if it is in front of me, I will eat it. So, by the time I left BUNKO, I was determining how much exercise I would have to do to burn all those calories.

SOLUTION

I firmly believe that if you don't buy the junk food, sweets, desserts, etc. that you will be far more successful at eating healthy and achieving your overall health goals. So, this week I would like to focus on healthy meal planning, and some healthy recipes to help get you started. Tip: one of my favorite web-sites is allrecipes.com. They have a healthy eating section that you can utilize for recipes as well.

Felafel
1 cup cooked chickpeas (garbanzos), drained
2 cloves minced garlic
1.2 tsp salt
pinch pepper
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp oil
Diced cucumber
Diced tomatoe
Diced purple or green onion
Pita Bread
Hummus
In a large bowl, mash chickpeas well; add next five ingredients and stir until mixture forms a thick ball and blends well. Form into 1" balls and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Combine vegetables in a bowl. Spoon into pita halves along with 3-4 balls; top with hummus. Enjoy!
Hummus
2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas (garbanzos) with liquid
3 Tbsp sesame seeds
3-4 Tbsp lemmon juice
2 cloves garlic
3/4 tsp salt
dash cayenne pepper
Blend all ingredients in a blender until very smooth, adding liquid or additional water if needed to blend freely. Makes 2 cups.
Pitas
1 cup lukewarm water
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp liquid lectin or 1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups hard wheat flour
2 Tbsp instant yeast
In mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Knead 4-5 minutes. Divide into 8 balls, and on a flowered surface roll eash into a 6" circle. Place on baking sheet and let rest 30 minutes in a warm place. Bake about 12 minutes at 350. Cut in half and open center. Makes 16 pockets.
EXERCISE
This week I am going to climb south mountain. To get there, take Ray Rd to Desert Ridge and turn right. You will come to a trail head on the right side of the road about 2 miles up in a residential community. There is a one mile hike to the lookout, and it is a moderate hike.
I am also doing pilates twice this week, along with water aerobics and dance. If you would like to join me, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background